Veritas of Southwest Georgia is a 501(c)3 organization whose purpose is to help parents educate their children. We recognize that God has ordained parents as the agents responsible for the academic and spiritual nurturing of their children. At Veritas Classical Schools, we endeavor to assist parents by presenting a Christian world-view which teaches children to love God with all their hearts, minds, souls, and strength. Our intent is to communicate the truth, train the mind and cultivate the heart in a Christ-honoring atmosphere.
We are based on a university model in which students meet one day a week. Tutors instruct them and then assign work for the rest of the week.
Our organization is based on three concepts:
- Covenantal – We are tutors who will come alongside with parents to help them educate their children. Biblically, parents have the ultimate authority and responsibility in their children’s education. We merely covenant with the parents as tutors in this endeavor.
- Classical – We feel that the classical model is superior to the current progressive model of education that has been taught for just the past 100 or so years. The classical model equips students with the ability to think on their own and the ability to learn throughout their life.
- Christian – Veritas is not just a Christian school, it is a Christian Worldview school. That means that every subject will be taught from a biblical and creation viewpoint. Yes, we will be covering some secular theories (e.g. evolution) for a more complete understanding, but we believe that the Christian worldview is the correct one.
The purpose of Veritas Classical Schools is to help mold students into thinkers, young men and women who do not simply “regurgitate” the information they have been fed but rather who analyze, critique, and affect the world by applying Biblical wisdom to their lives, families, and communities. Veritas Schools offer homeschooling families a unique complement to their home study programs by providing one day per week of classroom instruction, with an emphasis on classical as well as traditional subjects taught from a distinctly Christian perspective. It is our goal that Veritas students learn to THINK, biblically and logically, not just to blindly memorize seemingly unrelated and irrelevant facts required to do “well” on tests. The Veritas student is taught to be a lifelong learner, to consistently evaluate and critique relevant issues, and to always seek to skillfully communicate his thoughts. All students at Veritas Schools learn factual and philosophical truth, learn to evaluate the messages they are receiving from the world around them, and learn to defend their beliefs in a persuasive manner.
Our Mission Statement
Veritas Classical Schools assist homeschooling parents by partnering with them to communicate the truth, train the mind and cultivate the heart in a Christ-honoring atmosphere.
- God is the Creator and Sustainer of all things and is the Source of all Truth.
- God is Sovereign and maintains control over His entire universe. He is omnipotent.
- The one living and true God exists eternally in three persons – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- God has revealed Himself in a general way in His world and universe, and in a specific way in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments.
- The Bible is the inspired Word of God, the only inerrant and infallible rule of faith and practice.
- In the deity of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, in His sinlessness, in His miracles, in His vicarious atonement by the shedding of His blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His return in power and glory.
- All individuals are lost in sin apart from Jesus Christ, and that the only way of salvation is through faith in Jesus Christ enabled by the Holy Spirit.
- Salvation is by God’s grace alone and that Christ’s vicarious atonement on the cross secured our salvation.